This month I am traveling quite a bit for work. I know I have shared some of my best tips and strategies for packing (see this post), so for today's post I wanted to share some of my travel best practices to help you have a comfortable and healthy travel experience.
When you get to your hotel room...
Bedrooms are very intimate and a place where I think people are the most vulnerable. There is no way to know the true cleanliness of your hotel room or how many people have recently used that room. While housekeeping does a great job laundering linens and maintaining an overall clean aesthetic there are still a few things that like to do upon arrival.
- Disinfect the TV Remote, Phones, Door Handles, Light Switches and Toilet. *I suggest using either Clorox To-Go Wipes or Travel Lysol Spray
- Take the decorative throw blankets and pillows off of the bed immediately. Those items tend to be laundered very rarely.
- Use a luggage rack for your suitcase. Luggage (and handbags) can carry bedbugs and other germs, so its best never to place these items directly on your bed.
- Pack slippers and shower shoes. This is optional, but its something that I most definitely do. Just like decorative bedding, hotel flooring is cleaned less frequently, so I prefer not to expose my bare feet to the hotel flooring.
Where to find travel size toiletries?
Travel sized toiletries are essential for saving on suitcase space and total luggage weight when traveling. There are a handful of toiletries that I parse out into travel items, but when it comes to items like toothpaste and hairspray, I spring for the travel size products. Here are my go to stores for finding all of my travel products:
Laundry & Clothing Care
Whether I am traveling for business or pleasure, I always want to look my best/polished, so I make sure to include the following:
- Mini Tide to Go Pen- to treat small stains (usually due to a food or wine spill)
- Travel Sized Downey Wrinkle Releaser- quick way to de-wrinkle cotton clothing that may have been crumpled/creased during travel.
- Single Load Laundry Detergent - for hand-washing gym clothes, treating a stain or in the event I want to repeat an outfit during my trip.
Silicone Travel Bottles
Silicone travel bottles have quickly become a toiletry essential for me when traveling. Unlike traditional plastic travel bottles that tend to wear and break over time, silicone travel bottles can be squeezed, smushed, smashed and still retain their integrity. If that wasn't reason enough, these bottles are wide mouthed for easy transfer of liquids, BPA-free and eco-friendly! When it comes to packing liquid toiletries (i.e. shampoo, conditioner, body wash) silicone travel bottles are my recommendation.
Pack a Few Healthy Snacks
Packing a few healthy snacks and breakfast options is an absolute must for me. It's hard to gage what the food situation is going to be like on the road, so its nice to have a few healthy options tucked away in my suitcase for those moments when I need a little pick me up. Two favorite travel snacks I would highly recommend: