One thing I love regardless of the season, is a good salad. Filled with so many healthy veggies, fruits and other toppings, the versatility in prepping the salad gives it the ability to work as an appetizer, lunch or dinner entree.
Since it's the dead of winter and the citrus is in abundance at the grocery store, I have created an arugula salad with a homemade Citrus Dijon dressing that is easy to make, packed with flavor and healthy!
Ingredients for the Salad
- 4-5 cups Arugula
- 1 cup Cherry or Grape Tomatoes Sliced Lengthwise (Red or Yellow)
- 1/3 of a thinly sliced red onion that has soaked in apple cider vinegar for at least 4hrs (**Soaking your onion in vinegar will take the bite out)
- 1/2 of a Fresh Avocado Diced
- 4-5 Fresh Basil Leaves Julienned
- Parmesan Cheese Shavings for Garnish (either store bought shavings or you can take a clean vegetable peeler to a block of parmesan)
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 2oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1oz Champagne Vinegar
- 1/2oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (I use Meyer Lemons because I find them to be juicier, but any lemon will do).
- 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Sweetener Packet (I use Splenda, but any sweetener packet variation will work)
- 1 Shake of Tabasco (or hot sauce equivalent)
- 1 tsp Basil Paste (Found in the herb section of Safeway, Publix, Harris Teeter, etc.)
(*If you aren't a fan of a lot of acid in your salad, cut the vinegar out of this recipe and increase the lemon juice to 1oz)
- In a large salad bowl, combine Arugula, Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, Soaked Onions (drained) and Avocado. Set bowl aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Olive Oil, Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Sweetener, Hot Sauce, Dijon Mustard and Basil Paste
- Once the vinaigrette has been whisked together, add it to your salad and toss.
- Plate each salad portion and then add parmesan shavings
- OPTIONAL- This salad would also be delicious with the addition of Grilled Chicken, Shrimp or even Grilled Tofu!