Typically I like to release a cocktail recipe post on a Friday as a way to kick off the start of the weekend. In light of the fact that today is Tax Day, I am mixing things up and sharing my two favorite cocktail recipes for Spring. Lets face it, on Tax Day a cocktail post seems very appropriate.
These are two very easy cocktail recipes that I have been loving this season. I am in no way reinventing the wheel, but have certainly added my own creative touches with both presentation and a few ingredient modifications.
Classic Champagne Cocktail
This is an easy recipe and a great way to enhance your standard glass of champagne. The sugar cube does not make the cocktail sweet, but rather balances out the bitters. In addition to loving this cocktail, I have also become a huge fan of the champagne coupe this spring. Coupes are elegant, unique and do not have to be expensive (mine were on sale for less than $6/glass at the time of purchase). Here is a link to a set of 4 coupes for under $20!
- 1 Sugar Cube
- Angostura Bitters
- Champagne or Sparkling Wine
- Twist of Lemon Peel and/or Edible Flower to Garnish
- Place one sugar cube in a champagne glass.
- Saturate the sugar cube with Bitters
- Fill Glass with Champagne or Sparkling Wine
- Garnish with an edible flower and/or a twist of lemon peel
This is a refreshing cocktail that I have loved for a while. The classic Greyhound recipe is extremely simple (see here). Over the years, I have found ways to enhance this cocktail so that it still kept its original flavors, but now has a bit more punch. To make this a "springtime cocktail," it's important to use a pink grapefruit juice and ruby red fresh grapefruit slices (along with an edible flower) to garnish. Beyond the cocktail ingredients, I would recommend serving this cocktail with a pretty cocktail napkin (currently I am loving these Monkey Business Cocktail Napkins by Caspari).
- 1 part Citroen Vodka
- 2 parts Grapefruit Juice (High Quality)
- 1 part Perrier or sparkling water equivalent
- 1 Fresh Squeezed Lemon Wedge
- 1 Slice of Fresh Ruby Red Grapefruit and/or Edible Flower to Garnish
- In a double old fashioned glass, combine ingredients over ice
- Garnish with a slice of fresh ruby red grapefruit and/or edible flower
Cheers to Springtime! (and Tax Day!)