I live next to this delicious mediterranean restaurant. It's a very casual place, but the food is fantastic and you can customize your order with a variety of toppings. One topping that I regularly order from this restaurant (and recently discovered that it is for sale in my local grocery store) is Harissa. Harissa is a hot chili pepper paste that I have found to pair beautifully with an array of dishes, including the recipe that I am sharing with you in this post.
This is another easy to make appetizer that has a delicious and unique flavor profile. It also makes for a great snack (which I have been a fan making on occasion). These Spicy Eggplant Bites are a must try for anyone who enjoys food with a little heat and/or mediterranean cuisine.
- Chinese Eggplant or Baby Eggplant
- Olive Oil or Grape Seed Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Feta Cheese Crumbles
- Harissa - here is where to buy it online or make it yourself
- Fresh Oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick medallions
- Lay eggplant slices on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Brush eggplant slices with oil and lightly sprinkle with salt
- Bake slices for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes
- Spread a thin layer of Harissa on top of each eggplant medallion
- Then top each medallion with feta cheese crumbles
- Garnish each bite with a single fresh oregano leaf and serve
*Note- I recommend serving this hors d'oeuvre shortly after making it. If you let it sit too long it will become soggy.