Today's recipe is a spin on the classic Saltine Toffee Recipe. This is a dessert that great to have on hand for summer entertaining, because it keeps really well and I recommend serving it straight out of the freezer. Cold chocolate on a hot summer day? Um, yes please!!
This recipe also makes for a great hostess gift-- simply wrap up a portion of the recipe in cellophane paper, tie with a pretty ribbon and add a thoughtful gift tag. Easy, quick and delicious, whats not to love about this perfectly balanced sweet and salty dessert?!?
- 34 Degree Natural Crisps
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1 cup of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Bag of Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Smoked Maldon Sea Salt
*Not sure where to find 34 Degree Crisps in your area? Try their new Crisp Locator App. This tool maps out the location of every flavor crisp in your area and maps the proximity to your home. So fabulous!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with a non-stick cooking spray (ex. Pam)
- Assemble a slightly overlapping layer of 34 Degree Natural Crisps on the bottom of the jelly roll pan and set aside
- In a small sauce pot, add butter and brown sugar on medium-high heat and stir contents intermittently using a high heat spatula
- Once the butter/sugar mixture (toffee) has melted together and comes to a rolling bubble, remove from heat and pour over crackers
- Use a spatula to smooth out toffee mixture evenly over crackers, then place in the oven for 5 minutes
- Once the toffee is done baking, begin to melt the chocolate in 30 second increments using a microwave safe bowl in the microwave
- Stir chocolate after every 30 seconds of cooking until completely melted (about a minute and 20 seconds)
- Pour melted chocolate over toffee crackers and spread evenly
- Sprinkle top of chocolate with Smoked Maldon Sea Salt and allow to cool for 30 minutes before moving to the freezer
- Once frozen break off rustic pieces (using your hands) and serve