Every time I visit my parents in Florida, it never fails that I find myself making at least one or two trips to the most fabulous local market near their house. This market has the most impeccable produce, an extensive cheese selection and a mouth-watering prepared foods section. All items are at great prices, so as you might have guessed it is ALWAYS packed with customers (I mean complete chaos every time I go there). Of course it is totally worth fighting your way through the crowds, because of what you can get from this market.
Among my favorite go to items in their prepared section would have to be their stuffed portobello mushrooms. I really look forward to these mushrooms every time I visit my parents because they are that delicious! Lately I have been missing/seriously craving those mushrooms, so I decided to try my hand at recreating them. The result? Major success! So much so that I have decided to share this latest recipe creation/recreation with you all today.
This is a great way to expand your culinary horizons and venture beyond the typical steamed vegetable side dish. Plus-- This recipe is packed with flavor, easy to make and a great side or main dish to serve at your next dinner party or family dinner. I will definitely be serving up this delicious side/taste of home at my next gathering and I hope you will too!
- 5 Portobello Mushroom Caps (cleaned with stems removed)
- 2 5oz-Bags of Baby Spinach
- 3 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced
- Crumbled Cheese (Feta, Blue or Goat)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Brush the tops of the mushroom caps with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt
- Place the the oiled caps on a parchment lined baking sheet top side down
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil on bottom side (which should now be facing up), then add a tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar to each cap and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat
- When the oil is flaccid, add the minced garlic and cook until just turning brown (approx. 2-3minutes)
- Once garlic begins to brown, add the spinach and teaspoon of salt and allow to wilt down, stirring occasionally (*2 bags may seem like a lot but it reduces down to a very small amount)
- Once spinach is wilted, remove from heat and set aside
- When the mushrooms are done cooking, remove from oven and up the oven heat to BROIL
- Transfer mushroom caps to an aluminum lined baking sheet, shaking off the excess liquid prior to transferring
- Evenly divide spinach mixture onto the mushroom caps and sprinkle crumbled cheese on top (I opted to use Feta, but all three cheeses listed in the ingredients work well with this recipe)
- Place the mushrooms back in the oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese is slightly melted/turns golden brown
- Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!