Over this past weekend I received some beyond exciting news (no, not Winter Storm Jonas). The Carolina Panthers are going to the Super Bowl!!! For those of you who know me, you know that I love the Panthers and am anything but a fair-weather fan. I still remember the last time they went to the Super Bowl, as if it were yesterday. I was a freshman in college and had been invited to watch the game with a group of friends in a dorm room down the hall. The Panthers were playing the Patriots, which unfortunately resulted in a loss. Despite the loss, the silver lining was that I was introduced to one of my closest friends at this party. Years later, we are still the best of friends and I am still a major Panthers fan! Naturally I plan to celebrate their achievement this year in a big way…by hosting a Super Bowl Party!!
I am still working on finalizing my menu for the party, but one thing I can say with certainty is that I plan on serving football-themed caprese skewers. There are so many heavy dishes that are traditionally served during a super bowl party (all delicious of course), making it a nice change to serve a bit of lighter fare. Here is how I make these delicious and festive skewers.
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half crosswise)
- Fresh Basil
- Mini Fresh Mozzarella Balls (aka Ciliegine)
- Balsamic Glaze
- Using a Pick on Us Football Skewer, spear half of a tomato approximately 1 inch up the skewer
- Roll a medium leaf of basil (loosely in thirds) and skewer
- Then spear a piece of mozzarella, followed by another loosely rolled basil leaf and set skewers aside
- Drizzle balsamic glaze onto a serving platter and position the remaining tomato halves (flat side down) onto the platter
- Spear the caprese skewers into the tomato halves on the platter, garnish with a good olive oil, salt and pepper (if desired)
- Served and Enjoy!