I have never been a huge fan of gin. I don't know if it's something about the flavor or maybe it just tasted stronger than vodka, but there was something about it that never quite agreed with me. Of course, now you're probably wondering why the heck I'm sitting here writing a post about my new favorite gin cocktail recipe!
WELL, let me just start by saying that my feelings about gin have completely transformed thanks to my recent discovery of One Eight Distilling. One Eight is a local DC distillery specializing in Vodka, Gin and an array of whiskeys. Every Saturday from 1-4pm, they open their doors to the public and offer free tastings of their liquors as well as a menu of specialty cocktails to purchase for $7. In addition, they also offer free tours of their distillery.
Naturally, as soon as I learned of their Saturday open house, I had to go and experience it for myself! So my husband and I ventured over to the distillery a few weekends ago where we enjoyed the most delicious "Kumquat May" Cocktails (Ivy City Gin, Kumquat Syrup, Lime Juice and Bitter Lemon Soda) and took the fabulous distillery tour. It was so much fun, the cocktails were absolutely delicious and definitely an activity that I would recommend to anyone in the DC area (age 21+ of course!).
So now onto my latest cocktail creation! This is an easy to make cocktail, filled with delicious seasonal ingredients and of course my favorite local gin label! Here's the scoop on how to make this flavorful and refreshing cocktail:
- High Quality Gin (I highly recommend trying Ivy City Gin)
- Grapefruit Juice
- 2 pkgs Fresh Rosemary
- Sparkling Water (ex. Perrier)
- Fresh Ruby Red Grapefruit for Garnish
- 1c Sugar
- 1c Water
Rosemary-Infused Simple Syrup
- In a small sauce pan combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup of Granulated Sugar, 3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary and about 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Heat on Medium-High until sugar is dissolved
- Reduced to a simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool
- Pour syrup through a sieve to remove all rosemary pieces
To Make the Cocktail
- Fill a low ball/double old fashioned glass with ice
- Add 1-2 shots of Ivy City Gin
- Add 1 Tbs Rosemary Simple Syrup
- Fill the remainder of the glass with equal parts grapefruit juice and sparkling water
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary and slice of ruby red grapefruit that has been speared with a knotted cocktail pick
- Serve and Enjoy!