Last week I co-hosted a surprise bridal shower at work for a colleague/good friend of mine. We wanted to give her co-workers an opportunity to help her celebrate this wonderful milestone, so my fellow hostesses and I planned an afternoon travel-themed party complete with light refreshments and of course, a game!
When it came to planning this party, we were all about dividing and conquering. My assignments for the party prep included food, party paper products, planning the game and table centerpieces. Our office provided a gorgeous tower of Georgetown Cupcakes, so I focused on savory dishes- an ultimate veggie platter and a chips/salsa/guac station (btw- this recipe for guacamole is an absolute must try! So beyond delish!).
When trying to decide how I to go about creating arrangements for the party tables that were beautiful, unique and budget friendly, I knew that a bit of research would be required. It was actually while perusing the dining section at my local CB2 store that floral inspiration struck and I had my "Ah ha moment."
CB2's Marta Midnight Blue Double Old Fashioned Glasses were on sale for $1.99 each, which was significantly cheaper than my original plan for vases (i.e. purchasing $8 stock vases from a flower supply store), and the perfect floral vessel solution for my centerpieces. From there, I knew that my next step would be to visit Trader Joe's for flowers. I mean the price and quality of flowers sold at Trader Joe's is superb and I have yet to find a comparable alternative.
The arrangements ended up costing about $25 to make (insanely great price if you have ever made arrangements before). Naturally this latest discovery in the world of budget florals was something that I felt compelled to share with you all on the blog. So for today's post I am walking through how I went about creating these budget friendly floral beauties. See below for more details.
What you will need-
- Scissors or Floral Sheers
- Rubberbands (preferably green ones)
- Large kitchen bowl filled with water
- 3 CB2 Midnight Blue Double Old Fashioned Glasses ($1.99/each)
- 2 3-Stem Bouquets of White Hydrangeas ($5.99)
- 1 Bouquet of Mums ($3.99)
- 1 Bouquet of Wax Flowers or Alstroemerias ($2.99-$3.99)
- Fill CB2 glasses with water (approximately 3/4 full)
- Starting with hydrangeas, cut stems submerged under standing water in kitchen bowl until desired stem length is reached
- Place two hydrangeas in each glass
- Trim stems and remove leaves from Alstroemeria and divide bouquet evenly amongst the three glasses
- Fill in remaining spaces with either mums or wax flowers
- Once arranged in the vase, collect the bouquet out of the water and wrap a rubber band around the stems to give them a tighter look.
- Trim the ends of the bouquet stems to create an even/flat base and re-submerge bouquet back into water.